Monday, March 2, 2009

Casimir Pulaski Day


Today is Casimir Pulaski Day. I hoped I spelled that right. I didn't have a clue what this guy did until I looked him up online. This is what I found. I'm pretty sure I did know that it was only an Illinois holiday, so that is cool for school kids. Did every school(in Illinois) have the day off? I wasn't for sure.




Today is Pulaski Day, a day off for school kids and some government workers in Chicago and some other school districts across the state.
The only-in-Illinois holiday is marked the first Monday of each March.
It honors Brigadier Gen. Casimir Pulaski, a famed cavalry officer and freedom fighter in Poland who, at the behest of Benjamin Franklin, joined the American Revolutionary War effort and became a hero and a lasting source of pride for Polish-Americans here and elsewhere.
Pulaski -- known as the father of the American cavalry -- died after being wounded in October 1779 in a battle to take back Savannah, Ga., from the British.
He's also memorialized in Chicago with Pulaski Road.
This holiday is one of many that I don't get off of work for. Working at a daycare, means some school age kids are there if they don't have school. So, we had a fun day at work today!!!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jasper Co. had school today. We are one of the only schools around here to go today. We use to get it off, but we changed and chose to use that day for our break at Easter, I believe.

Joanna

Miss Ashley said...

Amber,
Thanks for that info. I did not know anything about him.

That is amazing Jasper County does not get the holiday. They miss school all the time.

Hope all is well in IL! Alaska is COOL!!! haha literally is like -30 here!!!

Love you and miss you... see you in just a couple more months...
Ash